Announcements, Trends & News
Exciting Trends from the Winter Fancy Food Show
By: Julie Seal, president
In my last blog, I noted the trends applicable to our clients that I saw while walking around the floor of the Specialty Food Association’s (SFA) Winter Fancy Food Show. Now, let’s go a little broader and take a look at some of the trends noted by SFA.
- Energy bars. While traditional flavors like chocolate and different types of fruit aren’t going away, companies are moving toward more hearty-sounding energy bar varieties such as pizza and sweet potato fries.
- Specialty hot sauces. Once considered merely a way to add heat to dishes, hot sauces are evolving to provide bold, assertive flavors that complement a range of cuisines and are considered staple condiments.
- Ready-to-eat popcorn. Going against the grain of the rising demand for fresh food, ready-to-eat popcorn sales are gaining ground as microwave popcorn falls out of favor.
- Vegan cheeses. Vegans have more and more options in the cheese arena, including a vegan cheese kit that allows them to make their own dairy-free cheese.
- Healthy alcoholic drinks. Those who enjoy beer, wine and cocktails have new options for adding a health component to their beverage, as more drinks are being made with probiotics and fruit juices—and low-alcohol varieties are on the rise as well.
SFA also noted that retailers are mimicking restaurants with a new focus on prepared foods, younger generations are willing to pay more for healthy foods than their older counterparts, and restaurants are pushing healthier menus and customization this year.
Can’t get enough about 2015 food trends? There’s more to come in future blogs!
Comments are closed